By William Walker
Read or Download Antiformalist, Unrevolutionary, Illiberal Milton: Political Prose, 1644-1660 PDF
Similar literary renaissance criticism books
Devils, ghosts, poltergeists, werewolves, and witches are all coated during this publication concerning the "dark aspect" of supernatural ideals in early glossy Europe, tapping interval literature, folklore, paintings, and scholarly writings in its research. • Illustrations from infrequent books on witchcraft and demonology• An annotated bibliography of basic and secondary assets• Appendices tackle early smooth supernatural artwork and artists who depicted the darkish part in addition to vital historic members
Assembled for the younger Prince William of Cleves, Erasmus’ Apophthegmata comprises hundreds of thousands of sayings and anecdotes accrued from Greek and Latin literature for the ethical schooling of the longer term ruler. Betty I. Knott and Elaine Fantham’s annotated translation of the aphorisms and Erasmus’ observation on them makes this as soon as renowned literary and academic textual content available to trendy audiences.
This quantity investigates the early sleek figuring out of twinship via new readings of performs, knowledgeable via discussions of twins showing in such literature as anatomy tracts, midwifery manuals, mammoth start broadsides, and chapbooks. The e-book contextualizes such dramatic representations of twinship, investigating modern discussions approximately twins in clinical and renowned literature and the way such dialogues resonate with the dual characters showing at the early glossy degree.
This ebook takes its departure from an test offered via Vincenzo Galilei sooner than his colleagues within the Florentine Camerata in approximately 1580. This occasion, specifically the 1st demonstration of the stile recitativo, is understood from a unmarried later resource, a letter written in 1634 through Pietro dei Bardi, son of the founding father of the Camerata.
- Androids and Intelligent Networks in Early Modern Literature and Culture: Artificial Slaves (Routledge Studies in Renaissance Literature and Culture)
- Writings on Medicine: Printed Writings 1641–1700: Series II, Part One, Volume 4: Printed Writings, 1641-1700 Pt.1, v.4 (The Early Modern Englishwoman: ... Writings, 1641â€“1700: Series II, Part One)
- Mesoamerican Voices: Native Language Writings from Colonial Mexico, Yucatan, and Guatemala
- The Poetry of John Milton
- Humoring the Body: Emotions and the Shakespearean Stage
Additional info for Antiformalist, Unrevolutionary, Illiberal Milton: Political Prose, 1644-1660